I’ve moved to a new site: edmoxie.com
If you are looking for me, please find me there. You can also email me directly at email@example.com.
Jeff Mao is an award winning education technology leader accomplished in bringing ideas and vision to programs and implementation. Extensive public and private-sector experience with a focus on K12education technology, professional development, 1:1 learning, and education policy.
Jeff is an internationally known education technology leader. Jeff has keynoted international events sponsored by UNESCO, World Bank, InterAmerica-Development Bank, Association of Independent Schools of NSW, and the Korean Education and Research Information Service. In the United States, he has keynoted state conferences including NYSCATE (New York) and VITA-Learn (Vermont), and presented at events hosted by organizations including ISTE, CoSN, SETDA, FETC, TASA, TCEA, VSTE, CETPA He served on the Board of Directors of the State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) for six years including two as Chair of the Board.
Jeff served as the Learning Technology Policy Director for the Maine Department of Education (2004-2014). In that role, he provided leadership and education technology policy support to four Commissioners of Education. He was directly responsible for the Maine Learning Technology Initiative (MLTI). He oversaw all aspects of the program including vision, implementation, policy, professional development, procurement and contract management.
His work includes collaborating and developing solutions with other governmental agencies including the U.S. Department of Education and the Federal Communications Commission as well as collaborations with numerous state departments of education. He has testified to the U.S. Senate in support of the reauthorization of the E-Rate program and worked with numerous congressional members in support of education policies to support students.
He was a lead author of the State of Utah’s Master Plan: Essential Elements for Technology Powered Learning. Additionally, he was an advisor for Future Ready Schools and has moderated and presented numerous Future Ready’s Summits and Institutes. Jeff was a Senior Director for Common Sense Media’s education division (2014-2017). He was also a Senior Strategic Education Outreach Manager for Wonder Workshop (2017-2019).
- EdScoop (EdTech Hero, 2017),
- SETDA (Leader of the Year, 2013),
- Common Sense Media (Educator of the Year, 2012).
- “5 Tips for Teachers in a New 1-to-1 Initiative”, THE Journal, January 2018
- “Digital Citizenship: From Compliance to Culture”, THE Journal, October 2017.
- “Evaluating the Success of Your Ed Tech Program”, THE Journal, July 2017.
- “3 Reasons to Think Twice Before Implementing a Required BYOD Program”, THE Journal, May 2017.
- “It’s About the Learning, Not the Technology – Until it Breaks”, THE Journal, November 2016.
- “Curriculum and Instruction: Brewing a Better Vocabulary”, THE Journal, September 2016.
- “The Art of Procurement: Balancing Price and Performance”, THE Journal, July 2016
- “Tough Tech Choices: Laptops, Tablets, Chromebooks, BYOD?”, THE Journal, May 2016
- “Is Your District Future Ready?”, THE Journal, April 2016
- “Lessons in Leadership: Maine Learning Technology Initiative”, Principal Leadership, National Association of Secondary School Principals, January 2010
- “Education still the driver…an update on the Maine Learning Technology Initiative”, One to One Institute Newsletter, March 2008
- “Systemic School Reform :: Maine” THE Journal, July 2007
- “The $899 iMac: An educator’s perspective” Macworld, July 24, 2006